I think it turned out nice. It was easy to make. I sewed the strips of fabric together and then ironed them onto an iron on stabiliser which worked really well. Then I cut out the backing fabric and put them together and sewed lines across them. I had planned on making the lines straight and even but I buggered up my first one so I made them all wonky instead.
I decided not to do mitred corners, partly because I thought they might make the corners stick up but mainly because I don't know how to make them and I didn't have time to sit through a tutorial. So I bound each end separately and it looks neat. Doesn't stick up and I liked it so much I made a coaster for my cup of tea to match.