Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eat Pray Love

So a friend raved about this book and loaned me her copy, protectively looking for a pen to scribble her name inside. I assured her I would not only remember whose book it was but also I will return it in perfect condition. She loves this book and wanted it back. Of course I forgot it and left it on the table of another friends kitchen who rescued it and brought it to me. Phew!

I cant say I was all that interested in actually reading it. I was curious because usually I want to read books which come highly recommended, but I wasn't actually looking forward to it like I would say, the new Sookie Stackhouse novel. Still, the other day when I finished another Charliane Harris novel, I picked it up and started reading it.

It didn't rock my soul at first. I found it kind of depressing. I didn't particularly enjoy reading about her broken marriage and the devastation of the break up of her "true love" and especially the depression which was all too familiar to me. After reading such epic novels like 'Pillars of the Earth' and 'World Without End', and fluffy teenage vampire series (Team Edward thankyou very much) and the entire series of Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris (in a row) followed by a few more obscure novels about death and the occult. The memoirs of a neurotic American women was probably not a welcome change to my literary (? perhaps) interests.

Still I have persevered and I am glad I have because I am now quite enjoying it. I have only read a third of it and I find myself not only wanting to learn to speak Italian I have considered the possibility of gathering a couple of girlfriends and suggesting our own little Italian Adventure. Unfortunatley, all the friends I have in mind including myself, have small children with whom we would have to neglect and leave behind with our men in order for us to indulge ourselves in the perfect pizza dough in Naples.

So perhaps instead of going to Italy I might be able to convince them that we should all learn Italian so we can practice together in the hopes that one day we might make it to Italy after all. That, and that the friend whose book I am reading called me this morning to tell me about a movie night another friend is hosting for the movie version of the book! There is a movie!? I wonder who is playing Liz? Julia Roberts perhaps? Jennifer Anniston??

So it may not be possible to go to Italy right now but I am neglecting my children anyway while loosing myself in this women's travels as she has now left Italy for India and I am eager to hear more about her adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment